Chris Powell's Flat Cap

Home » Charlton Athletic Match Reports » Match Report: Charlton 1-1 Leyton Orient (3-4 on penalties AET)

Match Report: Charlton 1-1 Leyton Orient (3-4 on penalties AET)

It was penalty agony again last night for Charlton as they suffered Capital One Cup humiliation at the hands of League One side Leyton Orient. With the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time in what was for the most point a dull and lifeless game, Orient went through to face Everton in the second round after penalty misses from Johnnie Jackson and Lawrie Wilson.

It was The Addicks who started the game brighter with Debutante Salim Kerkar running through unchallenged after neat work from Jordan Cook and Danny Hollands but saw his driven shot trickle wide of the post. A similar pattern emerged throughout the rest of the half with Kerkar, Cook, Hollands and Wagstaff at the heart of the action, with Cook looking especially threatening down the left wing.

The Os got back into the game for a brief period, with former Charlton striker David Mooney shooting straight at Ben Hamer in the Charlton goal and a mistake from The Addicks’ number one led to Mooney spooning the chance over the bar with an open goal in his sights.

Charlton were soon back in control of the game with Danny Green having a number of shots at goal and sending a number of set pieces into the box, but all proved fruitless. Green and Scott Wagstaff were clearly becoming a problem for the Orient defence, climaxing in a crunching set of challenges on the pair from Lloyd James, resulting in a yellow card for the Welshman. Although the resulting free-kick didn’t bring a goal for The Addicks, it was only another three minute wait before the fans were rewarded with the first goal of the 2012/13 season.

Again Cook was at the heart of the action, breaking after an Orient attack which saw Hamer save from Mooney once more, and playing a delightful through ball into the path of Wagstaff who side-footed past Allsopp in the Orient goal. It was a goal Charlton had deserved; their attacking play had warranted the lead.

Charlton continued to create chances with Green becoming increasingly frustrating to watch with several wasted efforts and Jordan Cook firing over from a corner towards the end of the half. The Addicks were made to pay for the growing amount of missed chances in stoppage time at the end of the first half. A corner from full back Gary Sawyer met the head of the unmarked Baudry who was free to fire his header past a helpless Hamer in the Charlton goal. With that, the whistle for half time followed and all of those connected with the home side could feel a little disappointed with the scoreline.

Dave Mooney was always a little slow and behind the pace, but surely he realised the Olympics finished two days previously? Apparently not, as the lanky forward scored a 91.04 to con the referee into believing he had been fouled inside the area by new Charlton signing Lawrie Wilson after just 5 second half minutes. Justice was done however as, much to the delight of the Charlton fans, Mooney crashed the ball against the crossbar from the resulting penalty.

The Addicks managed to muster a few more chances through Hollands and Cort but were again wasteful, and following a Green corner that directly hit the post, it was starting to seem like it was going to be a night of nearly and maybes for the Reds. The wasted chances certainly wouldn’t have helped Chris Powell’s frustration levels, as shortly after, following a foul by Cedric Evina on Michael Syms, the gaffer kicked a bottle in anger and was sent to the stands to sit among the fans. Powell, ever the gentleman, was seen signing autographs whilst the game was carrying on.

Green hit the post again, Taylor missed a guilt edge chance, the chances kept on coming but the Addicks still couldn’t finish. Orient could have won it late on with Dean Cox firing a volley over the bar, Michael Syms wasting a glorious two-on-one opportunity and choosing not to pass and Cox again breaking through and having his shot shaved by Hamer, but the game was always destined for 30 extra minutes.

Carrying on with form, Green missed a chance just seconds into the first period of extra time; his finishing become frustrating more than anything. Just incase the Addicks weren’t entirely sure it wasn’t to be their night, Kerkar had a free kick brilliantly saved, and from the resulting corner Cort’s header hit the side netting and caused a small ripple of fans to cheer for a goal that wasn’t.

Pritchard, Wright-Phillips and Jackson were all brought on, with Wright-Phillips a constant threat for the remainder of the game and Pritchard putting his usual workman like display. Despite the efforts of both sides, with a number of half chances but none of any note, the game headed into penalties.

Captain Jackson was first up for Charlton, the normal penalty taker of choice, but his kick was saved by Asslopp in the Orient goal. Symes scored for Orient and Wilson crashed his kick into the bar in Mooney style leaving the Addicks two behind after two kicks each. The Addicks were on the back foot but Green managed to get one past Asslopp and Chorley saw his penalty saved by Hamer. Wright-Phillips equalized but James put The Os back infront. Pritchard kept the game going to a decisive penalty but that was converted by Brunt, leaving The Addicks to ask what might have been.


Jordan Cook

Salim Kerkar

‘It was only the reserves miss, honest’

Danny Hollands is fit again

Chris Powell doesn’t have a ban

We can focus on the league


Danny Green’s shooting, passing, crossing, set pieces and luck

Lawrie Wilson looked shaky, as did Cederic Evina

Another penalty defeat

Charlton: Hamer; Wilson, Evina, Taylor, Cort; Green, Hollands, Kerkar (Pritchard 100), Cook (Jackson 106); Wagstaff, Smith (Wright-Phillips 106).
Subs (not used): Sullivan, Solly, Morrison, Hayes.
Goal: Wagstaff 28
Orient: Allsop; James, Sawyer, Cuthbert, Clarke (Chorley 96), Smith, Griffith, Baudry Cox; Lisbie (Brunt 83), Mooney (Symes 65).
Subs (not used): Grainger, McSweeney, Laird, Odubajo.
Goal: Baudry 45
Booked: James 25 (foul on Wagstaff), Sawyer 70 (foul on Hollands), Chorley 98 (foul on Smith), Symes 119 (foul on Wilson)
Penalties: Jackson (saved), Symes (scored) 0-1; Wilson (hit bar), Sawyer (scored) 0-2; Green (scored), Chorley (saved) 1-2; Wright-Phillips (scored), James (scored) 2-3; Pritchard (scored), Brunt (scored) 3-4. Orient win 4-3 on penalties.
Referee: G Ward
Att: 5,914 (979 Orient)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: